The NFPA Certified Fire Alarm ITM Specialist (CFAITMS) program was created in 2016 after extensive market research was conducted with facility managers from a cross section of industries.
The research indicated a strong desire among facility managers to have a credential that highlights their knowledge of the many challenges associated with a robust fire alarm inspection, testing, and maintenance program, and how to keep their facilities in compliance with NFPA 72®, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence in the inspection, testing and maintenance of fire alarm systems
- Ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA 72®, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code
- Enhance professionalism
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We have a separate interim process for recertifications. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook(PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, click the “retest” button below, and follow the directions on the downloadable PDF. If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile, and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
How to recertify
Download the 3-year recertification form (PDF), and follow the instructions.
Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert; Gain confidence in your abilities; Improve your job performance; Position yourself for career advancement; Certificate holders also receive a CFAITMS certificate
Test Center website