The NFPA Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program was created in response to repeated requests by local entities, state agencies, and national organizations for certification programs founded on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner, and other applicable NFPA codes and standards.
In late 1996, an independent organization conducted research and validated this need. The current Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program has been operational since 1998.
The goals of this program are to:
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We have a separate interim process for recertifications. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook (PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, you will need to fill out the retest application (PDF). If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
How to recertify
Download the 3-year recertification form (PDF), and follow the instructions.
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert.
- Gain confidence in your abilities.
- Improve your job performance.
- Position yourself for career advancement.
- Certification holders also receive a CFI-I certificate that further highlights their accomplishment.
Fire Inspector I materials
NOTICES: The CFI-I exam is offered in a computer-based format, and is available at testing centers around the world. To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center Web site. Please refer to the candidate handbook (PDF) for details.
As of 6/1/2022 the content of the CFI-I exam will be based on the 2021 and 2018 NFPA code sets. The exam will no longer align with the 2015 code set.
The latest version of the CFI-I exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2021 NFPA Code Set
2018 NFPA Code Set
These NFPA codes and standards have been conveniently packaged into reference sets and are available for people registering for the CFI-1 exam at a special price, only through the NFPA Certification Department. Refer to the CFI-I application form (PDF, 40 KB) (appendix I) to order these references. Please be sure to indicate which set you would like on your order form.
IFSTA Fire Inspection and Code Enforcement Manual, 8th Edition
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, MA 02169