It is the particular mission of the NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner (CFPE) program to promote professionalism within the fire plan examiner field-of-practice through a widely accepted, recognized, appreciated, and practical certification program.
Like the CFI-I and CFI-II certification programs, the CFPE is based on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. In addition to the NFPA 1031, the CFPE certification program also includes NFPA codes related directly to the plan examiner’s field-of-practice.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new certification management system to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. The new system will be launching soon. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert
- Gain confidence in your abilities
- Improve your job performance
- Position yourself for career advancement
- Certification holders also receive a CFPE certificate that further highlights their accomplishment.
NOTICE: The CFPE exam is offered in a computer-based format. The exam uses digitized plans, in a pop-up window, with scrolling and magnification capabilities. The computer-based exam is available at testing centers around the world. To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center Web site. Please refer to the candidate handbook (PDF) for details.
As of 8/1/2022, the content of the CFPE exam will be based on the 2021 and 2018 NFPA code sets. The exam will no longer align with the 2015 code set.
The Fire Plan Examiner exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2021 NFPA Code Set
2018 NFPA Code Set
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7432