The NFPA Certified Hazard Recognition Specialist Program (CHRS) was created in 2017 after discussions with numerous fire protection stakeholder groups indicated a strong desire for a credential that highlights knowledge of fire and life safety concepts and the requirements found in NFPA 101, Life Safety Code.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of knowledge of fire and life safety concepts and best practices
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone who is eligible
- Ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA codes and standards
- Facilitate success for those seeking certification
- Promote professional development through continuous learning
- Enhances professional credibility
- Validates specialized knowledge
- Increases customer and employer confidence
- Provides peer recognition
Certification holders also receive an NFPA certificate that highlights their accomplishment.
Find a test center near you
To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center website
As of March 1, 2022, the exam will be compatible with the 2021 and 2018 editions of NFPA 101, Life Safety Code. It is the candidate's responsibility to obtain one of these publications for study purposes and to have present during the examination. If you would like to purchase this NFPA document please go to the NFPA online catalog.
NFPA Certification Department, 1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7495; email: firstname.lastname@example.org