The NFPA Certified Hazard Recognition Specialist Program (CHRS) was created in 2017 after discussions with numerous fire protection stakeholder groups indicated a strong desire for a credential that highlights knowledge of fire and life safety concepts and the requirements found in NFPA 101, Life Safety Code.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of knowledge of fire and life safety concepts and best practices
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone who is eligible
- Ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA codes and standards
- Facilitate success for those seeking certification
- Promote professional development through continuous learning
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We have a separate interim process for recertifications. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook (PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, you will need to fill out the retest application (PDF). If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
How to recertify
Download the 3-year recertification form (PDF), and follow the instructions.
- Enhances professional credibility
- Validates specialized knowledge
- Increases customer and employer confidence
- Provides peer recognition
Certification holders also receive an NFPA certificate that highlights their accomplishment.
Find a test center near you
To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center website
As of March 1, 2022, the exam will be compatible with the 2021 and 2018 editions of NFPA 101, Life Safety Code. It is the candidate's responsibility to obtain one of these publications for study purposes and to have present during the examination. If you would like to purchase this NFPA document please go to the NFPA online catalog.
NFPA Certification Department, 1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7495; email: email@example.com