The NFPA Certified Life Safety Specialist (CLSS-HC) for Health Care Facility Managers program was created in 2015 after extensive market research was conducted with facility managers within the health care industry.
The research indicated a strong desire among health care facility managers to have a credential that highlights their knowledge of the many life safety challenges within a health care environment and how to keep their facilities in compliance with the 2012 edition of NFPA 101®, Life Safety Code
Note: To all Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) surveyor candidates: CMS requires Life Safety Code Surveyor candidates pass the NFPA Certified Fire Inspector – I (CFI-I) exam not the CLSS-HC exam.
The goals of this program are to:
- recognize and provide evidence of competence with life safety challenges within a health care environment
- ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA 101®, Life Safety Code®
- enhance professionalism
- promote professional development
- ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We have a separate interim process for recertifications. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook (PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, you will need to fill out the retest application(PDF). If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
How to recertify
Download the 3-year recertification form (PDF), and follow the instructions.
Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert; Gain confidence in your abilities; Improve your job performance; Position yourself for career advancement; Certification holders also receive a CLSS-HC certificate
Find a test center near you
To locate a computer-based testing center near you, visit the test center website.
The exam is based on the 2012 edition of NFPA 101®, Life Safety Code®. It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain this reference source for study purposes and to have present during the examination. It is the only reference source allowed in the examination room. If you would like to purchase this NFPA document, please go to NFPA's online catalog.
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7509