The NFPA Certified Wildfire Mitigation Specialist Program (CWMS) was created in 2017 after discussions with fire service and forestry professionals at the federal, state, and local levels.
The CWMS credential offers professionals whose work involves wildfire hazard mitigation, the ability to demonstrate that they understand hazard mitigation measures, planning and preparedness strategies, public education practices, and wildland fire science. Gain the recognition you deserve as an expert in your field with this specialist certification.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of knowledge of hazard mitigation, planning & preparedness, public education, and fire science concepts associated with the wildland/urban interface
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone who is eligible
- Ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA codes and standards
- Facilitate success for those seeking certification
- Promote professional development through continuous learning
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We have a separate interim process for recertifications. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook (PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, click the “retest” button below, and follow the directions on the downloadable PDF. If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile, and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
How to recertify
Download the 3-year recertification form (PDF), and follow the instructions.
- Initial Application/Exam - $399
- Retest Exam – $199
- Recertification - $180
- Enhances professional credibility
- Validates specialized knowledge
- Increases customer and employer confidence
- Provides peer recognition
Certification holders also receive an NFPA certificate that highlights their accomplishment.
Body of knowledge
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain the reference materials needed for study purposes. NFPA 1141, NFPA 1143, and NFPA 1144 are available for purchase by clicking on the related links. The remaining reference materials are available at no cost at the links provided.
NFPA exams are available at hundreds of Prometric brick and mortar test centers around the world or in a remotely proctored environment that you can access on a personal or work computer through Prometric’s ProProctor application. To locate a test center near you, or for details on the remote proctored testing option visit www.prometric.com/nfpacert.
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169