The NFPA Water-Based Fire Protection System Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance (WBITM) Certification is for experienced sprinkler ITM technicians, contractors, and other professionals who have the knowledge and skills to perform the full spectrum of inspection, testing, and maintenance duties independently, without supervision.
Earning the WBITM certification demonstrates an individual’s proficiency, knowledge, and firm understanding of inspecting, testing, and maintaining water-based systems, and is a useful metric for employers to use in gauging qualifications.
The WBITM program is expected to begin accepting applications in mid-to-late September.
WBITM program goals
Features and benefits
WBITM certificants receive the following benefits:
- A competitive advantage in the job market
- Career advancement opportunities
- Recognition as an expert by their colleagues
Candidates for the WBITM certification must have:
- A minimum of 5 years of full-time verifiable work experience with inspection, testing, and maintenance of water-based fire protection systems.
- A signed attestation from a supervisor or employer representative who can verify the applicant’s knowledge, skills, and abilities with regards to the inspection, testing, and maintenance of water-based fire protection systems. The Attestation Form can be downloaded below. For more information, download the Candidate Handbook.
How to apply
1. Download the candidate handbook and familiarize yourself with all aspects of the program.
Once you determine you are eligible for the WBITM program,
2. Download the supervisor attestation form and have an appropriate supervisor complete the form.
3. Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application/recertification portal.
4. Enter the application/recertification portal (coming soon)
5. Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to enter your relevant work experience, upload your attestation form, and pay.
6. Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your Eligibility number. With that number, you can go to the Prometric scheduling site to schedule your exam.
About the exam
The WBITM exam is a 2.5-hour, 140 question, open-book* exam taken at an approved, computer-based testing center. The exam is based primarily on NFPA 25, Standard for the Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-based Fire Protection Systems, 2020 Edition.
However, candidates are also expected to know system components, function, safety, and design principles through a comprehensive working knowledge of the following related codes and standards: NFPA 13, NFPA 13R, NFPA 14, NFPA 15, NFPA 16, NFPA 20, NFPA 22, NFPA 24, and NFPA 72. Additionally, due to the risks posed by energized pumps and other components, candidates should be familiar with NFPA 70E.
To locate a computer-based testing center near you, Visit the test center website.
*All of those codes and standards, including NFPA 25, will be provided as digital references during the exam.
If you would like to purchase these NFPA documents for study or reference outside the exam, please go to the NFPA catalog at www.nfpa.org/catalog.
- $350 USD for the application and initial exam
- $175 USD to retest if you fail the exam
- $150 USD to recertify at the end of each three (3) year certification period.
NFPA Admin & Support Services
11 Tracy Drive
Avon, MA. 02322