It is the particular mission of the NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner (CFPE) program to promote professionalism within the fire plan examiner field-of-practice through a widely accepted, recognized, appreciated, and practical certification program.
Like the CFI-I and CFI-II certification programs, the CFPE is based on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. In addition to the NFPA 1031, the CFPE certification program also includes NFPA codes related directly to the plan examiner’s field-of-practice.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of competence as related to NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure proficiency in the use of codes and standards
- Promote professional development
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We have a separate interim process for recertifications. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook (PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, click the “retest” button below, and follow the directions on the downloadable PDF. If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile, and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
How to recertify
Download the 3-year recertification form (PDF), and follow the instructions.
- Initial Application/Exam - $399
- Retest Exam – $199
- Recertification - $180
- Be recognized by your colleagues as an expert
- Gain confidence in your abilities
- Improve your job performance
- Position yourself for career advancement
- Certification holders also receive a CFPE certificate that further highlights their accomplishment.
NFPA exams are available at hundreds of Prometric brick and mortar test centers around the world or in a remotely proctored environment that you can access on a personal or work computer through Prometric’s ProProctor application. To locate a test center near you, or for details on the remote proctored testing option visit www.prometric.com/nfpacert.
The Fire Plan Examiner exam is based on NFPA 1031, 2014 edition, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2021 NFPA Code Set
2018 NFPA Code Set
These NFPA codes and standards have been conveniently packaged into reference sets and are available at a special price for candidates that have registered for the CFI-I, CFI-II, & CFPE certification programs. A link to the special pricing offer is provided once a certification program application has been completed.
IFSTA Plans Examiner for Fire and Emergency Services, 2nd Edition
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, MA 02169
Tel: +1 617 984-7432