As the threat of coronavirus (COVID-19) grows, it is critical to have the information you need to help mitigate impacts and protect your community.
As an all-hazards information and knowledge leader, NFPA offers a variety of resources that emergency managers, businesses, schools, and health care providers can use to help prepare for, develop or update continuity plans; and protect those who may be vulnerable or exposed to this infectious disease. Free access to NFPA's codes and standards are available to the public.
- In light of the concerns around the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), NFPA has made the decision to cancel in-person classes until further notice.
Subscribe to latest NFPA updates on COVID-19 by email
Building & life safety
Even in times of crisis, we have to ensure that buildings are protected with the very equipment that saves lives and property.
NEW! Outdoor Heater Safety fact sheet (PDF)
For government officials
NFPA urges government officials to ensure that fire protection and life safety systems be maintained in all commercial and multi-occupancy residential buildings throughout this global pandemic.
NEW! Maintaining Fire Protection and Life Safety Systems Regardless of Occupancy Status webinar recording
Responder safety during pandemics
When tragic events unfold, it is our first responders that are on the front line, risking their own safety to help others. And, not surprisingly, first responders are responding to changes in a COVID-19 world.
NEW! 5 key infection control takeaways from NFPA 1581 and CDC guidance for responders during COVID-19 (PNG)
Health care facilities
Critical fire and life safety needs must be balanced with patient care in hospitals as well as new temporary makeshift facilities.
NEW! Maintaining safe health care facilities in extraordinary times webinar recording
With everyone working and learning at home, and routines altered, it’s critical to protect your family from home fires.
NEW! Social media cards promoting fire safety in the home
NFPA 1600®, Standard on Continuity, Emergency, and Crisis Management®, and other resources offer key information for entities who want to conduct a risk assessment, business impact analysis, capabilities and needs assessments, and develop emergency and recovery plans.
NEW! Emergency preparedness checklist (PDF)
With the coronavirus pandemic sweeping the globe, more hand sanitizer is being used and stored than ever before. In this episode of Learn Something New™ by NFPA Journal®, we learn what safety considerations should be made when storing this flammable liquid, especially in large quantities.
From NFPA Journal®
Learning from COVID - What the pandemic teaches us about large-scale emergency response
News releases and other information
- News release - New NFPA fact sheet and upcoming webinar address issues facing offices, restaurants, and retail stores as they enter “the new normal”
News release - As businesses prepare to re-open, new NFPA checklist helps building owners and facility managers ensure fire and life safety for all occupants
- News release - New NFPA tip sheet offers timely information on demobilizing buildings under construction, alteration or demolition during government-required shutdowns
- News release - NFPA develops guidance to address fire and life safety challenges in temporary and traditional health care facilities
- News release - NFPA releases Responder Infection Control tip sheet for COVID-19 times
- News release - NFPA offers resources for conducting remote video inspections when access to buildings is limited
- News release - NFPA’s online resources help educate kids about fire safety through fun, engaging activities, lesson plans, videos, and interactive games
- News release - As threat of COVID-19 continues to expand globally, NFPA offers information and resources to help emergency responders, healthcare facilities, and AHJs mitigate its impact and help protect their communities
- News release - NFPA urges added caution around home fire safety during COVID-19 pandemic
- News release - NFPA issues guidance to government officials on fire protection and life safety systems regardless of occupancy status
- Community Risk Reduction and COVID-19
- Visit NFPA's press room