The NFPA Certified Wildfire Mitigation Specialist Program (CWMS) was created in 2017 after discussions with fire service and forestry professionals at the federal, state, and local levels.
The CWMS credential offers professionals whose work involves wildfire hazard mitigation, the ability to demonstrate that they understand hazard mitigation measures, planning and preparedness strategies, public education practices, and wildland fire science. Gain the recognition you deserve as an expert in your field with this specialist certification.
The goals of this program are to:
- Recognize and provide evidence of knowledge of hazard mitigation, planning & preparedness, public education, and fire science concepts associated with the wildland/urban interface
- Enhance professionalism
- Ensure a uniform, fair process for certification that is accessible to everyone who is eligible
- Ensure proficiency in the use of NFPA codes and standards
- Facilitate success for those seeking certification
- Promote professional development through continuous learning
- Enhances professional credibility
- Validates specialized knowledge
- Increases customer and employer confidence
- Provides peer recognition
Certification holders also receive an NFPA certificate that highlights their accomplishment.
Body of knowledge
It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain the reference materials needed for study purposes. NFPA 1141, NFPA 1143, and NFPA 1144 are available for purchase by clicking on the related links. The remaining reference materials are available at no cost at the links provided.
The CWMS exam is offered in a computer-based format. To locate a testing center near you, visit the test center website. Please refer to the candidate handbook (PDF) for details.
NFPA Certification Department
1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169