Saturday, May 19, 2018
The vast majority of fire deaths in North America happen at home. The time has come to bring attention to this problem--and its solution.
NFPA's Fire Sprinkler Initiative, the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition, and the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition-Canada celebrated Home Fire Sprinkler Day on May 19, 2018. This project tasked fire sprinkler advocates across North America with hosting events on the same day that promote home fire sprinklers. These events were aimed at raising awareness of this life-saving technology while breaking down the myths and legislative barriers to its use. More than 50 events in 25 U.S. states and Canadian provinces occurred on or around Home Fire Sprinkler Day.
List of potential activities
Take part in one or more of these events. We advise checking with your state or provincial fire sprinkler coalition first to coordinate any events with them.
- Host a side-by-side live burn/fire sprinkler demonstration
- Conduct a fire department open house featuring fire sprinkler information and sprinkler riser display
- Initiate a media event/walk-through of a sprinklered home in your community
- Dedicate a training session to your fire department staff on the myths and facts of home fire sprinklers
- Advocate for a "Home Fire Sprinkler Day" proclamation in your town
- Spearhead a social media campaign demanding local legislators and decision makers address local fire problem/support sprinklers
- Write letters to the editor or op-eds underscoring your local fire problem and fire sprinkler laws or lack thereof
- News release
- News release (Canadian version)
Use this news release template to let your local media know you're participating in the event
- Proclamation (Canadian version)
Download and customize a proclamation for use by one of your community's officials
- Hands-on home fire sprinkler prop
The sturdy storage box contains a pendent sprinkler with educational information about home fire sprinklers, and is of no cost to Built for Life Fire Departments
Social media cards
Use these images in conjunction with our sample social media posts before and during your event:
- Save the date!
- Majority of fire deaths happen at home
- Home fire sprinklers reduce the risk of dying by 80 percent
- Something so small, yet so powerful, will get nationwide attention
- (Canadian version) Majority of fire deaths happen at home
- Fire Sprinkler Quiz
Have your community test their knowledge on home fire sprinklers by taking this quick, online quiz