The NFPA Research Library & Archives houses artifacts, images, and resources on NFPA code development and Association history, fire research, fire prevention and suppression, life and building safety. The collection of national and international resources include 25,000+ books and reports, educational and marketing media, original art, in addition to all published NFPA materials dating from the Association's founding in 1896.
A Sampling of the NFPA Research Library & Archives collections
- NFPA codes, standards, books, handbooks & reports, in each edition and language
- Conference proceedings, including Advanced Proceedings, Committee Reports, Technical Committee Reports, Technical Committee Documentation, Report on Comments, Report on Proposal, yearbooks, directories, from 1897-present
- Committee lists & directories from 1903 -
- NFPA Journal® in full-text in print and in searchable PDFs from 1907-present
- Approximately 400+ fire investigation reports (PDF) are available for research. Including investigative reports, photographs, and newspaper clippings of major fires. Some content is restricted or not available for reproduction.
- Conference programs and announcements from 1953-present
- Fire Prevention Week® materials 1925-present
- Original art used in NFPA Journal and other publications
Access the NFPA Research Library & Archives
Visitors are welcome to come the Library to do research and we are open 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday. The online Library Catalog allows the public to search the library and archives records, as well as full-text of many NFPA publications, including the NFPA Journal.
The library research staff will access the library resources and archives to answer requests from NFPA members, staff and the public. We reserve the right to charge up to $150.00/hour for intensive research conducted for the public.
NFPA Research Library & Archives
National Fire Protection Association
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, MA 02169-7471
Telephone: +1 617 984-7445