Regulations and agenda
Per the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards (Section 4.5), only Certified Amending Motions (with valid sign-in) and proper Follow-up Motions will be allowed during the NFPA Technical Meeting for standards processed in the Fall and Annual revision cycles.
The agenda for the Technical Meeting will be those standards with Certified Amending Motions as indicated in the Report of the Motions Committee on Certified Amending Motions.
Per the NFPA Bylaws, only NFPA Members of record 180 days before the opening of any Annual, Regular, Special, or Technical Meeting of the NFPA Membership who have duly registered and paid any registration fees for the meeting shall be entitled to vote at that meeting. Except as may be required by law or as may be provided in a Regulation or Standing Rule promulgated pursuant to Article 8 of these Bylaws, any action of the NFPA Voting Membership shall require the affirmative vote of a majority of the votes cast at the meeting.
Voting by proxy shall not be permitted, and the vote of each Voting NFPA Member shall be cast by that member individually.
Upcoming NFPA Conference & Expo Dates
- June 6-9, 2022, Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, Boston, MA
- June 19-22, 2023, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- June 17-20, 2024, Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, FL
- June 16-19, 2025, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- June 22-25, 2026, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Annual 2022 revision cycle
- Results of NFPA Technical Meeting Membership Voting
- May 2, 2022: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses six Annual 2022 Standards and one Fall 2021 Standard with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2022 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 25, NFPA 70, NFPA 86, NFPA 130, NFPA 285, NFPA 502, and NFPA 855; and provides a list of NITMAMs that were not certified and a list of NITMAMs requested by the submitter to be withdrawn.
- Withdrawal of CAMs 70-17 and 70-116: Subsequent to the posting of the Motions Committee Report, two Certified Amending Motions for NFPA 70 (specifically, CAM 70-17 and CAM 70-116) were requested to be withdrawn by the submitters. In accordance with the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards and the NFPA Technical Meeting Convention Rules, these CAMs were approved by the Motions Committee for withdrawal.
- ATTENTION. Special Notice: Please be advised that a clerical error was identified in the Report of the Motions Committee and table of Certified Amending Motions which has now been corrected. Specifically, the table of certified amending motions, effects page, and ballot mistakenly identified CAM 70-129 to involve §334.104 and the failed reballoting of First Revision number 8435, rather than accurately referencing §330.104 and failed reballoting of First Revision number 8420. This has been corrected and included in the Report available at the link provided. Accuracy of the actions to be considered by the membership are of the utmost importance to NFPA and therefore we have reposted the corrected report in its entirety for your review to accurately reflect all actions available for pursuit at the Technical Meeting.
- April 11, 2022: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on NFPA 70®, National Electrical Code® and NFPA 855, Standard for the Installation of Stationary Energy Storage Systems.
- March 9, 2022: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on NFPA 1986, Standard on Respiratory Protection Equipment for Tactical and Technical Operations, and NFPA 1987, Standard on Combination Unit Respirator Systems for Tactical and Technical Operations.
- NFPA 1986 and NFPA 1987 did not receive NITMAMs and have been issued as Consent Standards.
- February 22, 2022: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Annual 2022 cycle.
- The following Annual 2022 Standards did not receive NITMAMs and have been issued as Consent Standards: NFPA 30B, NFPA 51, NFPA 52, NFPA 55, NFPA 88A, NFPA 301, NFPA 557, NFPA 715, NFPA 750, NFPA 780, and NFPA 1082.
- Withdrawal of NITMAM 2112-4: Subsequent to the NITMAM closing date, one NITMAM for NFPA 2112 (specifically, NITMAM No. 4) was requested to be withdrawn by the submitter. In accordance with the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards and the NFPA Technical Meeting Convention Rules, this NITMAM was approved by the Motions Committee for withdrawal. As a result of the Motions Committee action of NITMAM 2112-4, NFPA 2112, Standard on Flame-Resistant Clothing for Protection of Industrial Personnel Against Short-Duration Thermal Exposures from Fire, will be forwarded to the Council for balloting on issuance as a consent standard. Anyone wishing to appeal, may do so by April 7, 2022, to the Secretary, Standards Council in accordance with the Regulations.
Fall 2021 revision cycle
- October 12, 2021: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses one Fall 2021 Standard with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2022 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 285; and provides a list of NITMAMs that were not certified and a list of NITMAMs requested by the submitter to be withdrawn.
- Consent Standards: The following Fall 2021 Standards did not receive NITMAMs and have been issued as Consent Standards: NFPA 18A, NFPA 268, NFPA 269, NFPA 275, NFPA 287, NFPA 385, NFPA 409, NFPA 415, NFPA 423. Please see individual standards pages for more information.
- September 2, 2021: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Fall 2021 cycle.
Instructions for submitting a NITMAM
- NFPA accepts NITMAMs via our online submission system. To use the online submission system:
- Choose a document from the List of NFPA codes & standards or filter by Development Stage for "codes accepting NITMAM".
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions to submit your NITMAM.
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results
Boston, MA, Annual 2022
Electronic Format, Annual 2021
Electronic Format, Annual 2020
San Antonio, TX, Annual 2019
- Read the final floor action results from this year's Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 25, NFPA 302, NFPA 654, NFPA 130, NFPA 502, NFPA 1961, NFPA 1851, NFPA 58, NFPA 801, NFPA 855, and NFPA 70)
- Annual 2019 Motions Committee Report - Part 2 - (NFPA 25, NFPA 70, NFPA 855, and NFPA 1851)
- Annual 2019 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2018 Motions Committee Report
Las Vegas, NV, Annual 2018
- Final floor action results from the Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 400, NFPA 241, NFPA 289, NFPA 101A, NFPA 13, NFPA 13D, NFPA 1981, NFPA 1001, NFPA 1730, NFPA 110, NFPA 72)
- Annual 2018 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2017 Motions Committee Report