Regulations and agenda
Per the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards (Section 4.5), only Certified Amending Motions (with valid sign-in) and proper Follow-up Motions will be allowed during the NFPA Technical Meeting for standards processed in the Fall and Annual revision cycles.
The agenda for the Technical Meeting will be those standards with Certified Amending Motions as indicated in the Report of the Motions Committee on Certified Amending Motions.
Per the NFPA Bylaws, only NFPA Members of record of 180 days before the opening of any Annual, Regular, Special, or Technical Meeting of the NFPA Membership who have duly registered and paid any registration fees for the meeting shall be entitled to vote at that meeting. Except as may be required by law or as may be provided in a Regulation or Standing Rule promulgated pursuant to Article 8 of these Bylaws, any action of the NFPA Voting Membership shall require the affirmative vote of a majority of the votes cast at the meeting.
Voting by proxy shall not be permitted, and the vote of each Voting NFPA Member shall be cast by that member individually.
Upcoming NFPA Conference & Expo Dates
- June 19-23, 2023, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- June 17-20, 2024, Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, FL
- June 16-19, 2025, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
- June 22-25, 2026, Mandalay Bay Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV
Under NFPA rules, anyone wishing to make an allowable amending motion at an NFPA Technical Meeting must declare their intentions by filing, within the published deadline, a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). NITMAMs submitted on Public Comments (PC) can only be submitted by the original submitter of the PC or their duly authorized Designated Representative. NITMAMs can be made by anyone if the NITMAM is on a Committee Comment, Second Revision, Second Correlating Revision, or in the case of a new standard, a NITMAM to Return the Entire NFPA Standard.
The Motions Committee of the NFPA Standards Council, in accordance with NFPA rules, reviews each NITMAM to determine whether the intended motion is a proper motion. Proposed NFPA Standards will be presented for action at the NFPA Technical Meeting only when an Amending Motion (NITMAM) has been certified by the Motions Committee as a proper amending motion. Standards that receive no motions will not be presented at the meeting and instead will be forwarded directly to the NFPA Standards Council for action on issuance. More about the standards development process including NITMAM.
Additional information on NITMAMs and authorized submitters can be found in Section 4.5 of the Regulations Governing the Development of NFPA Standards.
Annual 2023 revision cycle
- March 28, 2023: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Annual 2023 cycle.
- January 5, 2023: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on NFPA 1, Fire Code.
- NFPA 1 did not receive NITMAMs. Anyone wishing to appeal, may do so by January 21, 2023 to the Secretary, Standards Council in accordance with the Regulations. Please see individual standards page for more information.
Fall 2022 revision cycle
- December 13, 2022: The Report of the Motions Committee addresses seven Fall 2022 Standards with Certified Amending Motions for consideration at the 2023 NFPA Technical Meeting: NFPA 14, NFPA 45, NFPA 58, NFPA 140, NFPA 260, NFPA 286, and NFPA 505; and provides a list of NITMAMs that were not certified and a list of NITMAMs requested by the submitter to be withdrawn.
- November 30, 2022: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on NFPA 70B, Recommended Practice for Electrical Equipment Maintenance
- NFPA 70B did not receive NITMAMs and has been issued as a Consent Standard. Please see individual standards page for more information.
- November 2, 2022: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in Fall 2022 cycle.
- The following Fall 2022 Standards did not receive NITMAMs and have been issued as Consent Standards: NFPA 2, NFPA 56, NFPA 59A, NFPA 68, NFPA 85, NFPA 120, NFPA 122, NFPA 259, NFPA 261, NFPA 262, NFPA 265, NFPA 270, NFPA 274, NFPA 289, NFPA 495, NFPA 701, NFPA 705, NFPA 730, NFPA 914, and NFPA 2800. Please see individual standards pages for more information.
- September 9, 2022: Deadline for Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) on Standards in the Emergency Response and Responder Safety (ERRS) Group 2 Fall 2022 revision cycle.
Instructions for submitting a NITMAM
- NFPA accepts NITMAMs via our online submission system. To use the online submission system:
- Choose a document from the List of NFPA codes & standards or filter by Development Stage for "codes accepting NITMAM".
- Once you are on the document page, select the "Next edition" tab and choose the link "Second Draft Report".
- You will be asked to sign-in or create a free online account with NFPA before using this system.
- Once on the Second Draft Report page, follow the online instructions to submit your NITMAM.
Previous Motions Committee Reports, Transcripts, and Final Results
Las Vegas, NV, Annual 2023
Boston, MA, Annual 2022
Electronic Format, Annual 2021
Electronic Format, Annual 2020
San Antonio, TX, Annual 2019
- Read the final floor action results from this year's Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 25, NFPA 302, NFPA 654, NFPA 130, NFPA 502, NFPA 1961, NFPA 1851, NFPA 58, NFPA 801, NFPA 855, and NFPA 70)
- Annual 2019 Motions Committee Report - Part 2 - (NFPA 25, NFPA 70, NFPA 855, and NFPA 1851)
- Annual 2019 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2018 Motions Committee Report
Las Vegas, NV, Annual 2018
- Final floor action results from the Tech Session
- Transcript (NFPA 400, NFPA 241, NFPA 289, NFPA 101A, NFPA 13, NFPA 13D, NFPA 1981, NFPA 1001, NFPA 1730, NFPA 110, NFPA 72)
- Annual 2018 Motions Committee Report
- Fall 2017 Motions Committee Report