The NFPA Water-Based Fire Protection System Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance (WBITM) Certification is for experienced sprinkler ITM technicians, contractors, and other professionals who have the knowledge and skills to perform the full spectrum of inspection, testing, and maintenance duties independently, without supervision.
Earning the WBITM certification demonstrates an individual’s proficiency, knowledge, and firm understanding of inspecting, testing, and maintaining water-based systems, and is a useful metric for employers to use in gauging qualifications.
WBITM program goals
Candidates for the WBITM certification must have:
- A minimum of 5 years of full-time verifiable work experience with inspection, testing, and maintenance of water-based fire protection systems.
- A signed attestation from a supervisor or employer representative who can verify the applicant’s knowledge, skills, and abilities with regards to the inspection, testing, and maintenance of water-based fire protection systems. The Attestation Form can be downloaded below. For more information, download the Candidate Handbook.
NFPA is currently transitioning to a new Certification Management System to offer you an improved user experience and even greater control over your personal certification journey. Currently, only new applications and retest applications are being processed on this system. We apologize for any inconvenience. Updates will be posted here, so check back frequently. Thank you for your patience during this change.
How to apply
- Download the candidate handbook (PDF), familiarize yourself with the program, and determine if you are eligible
- Ensure you are signed in to your NFPA.org profile. If you are not, you will not be able to access the application portal.
- Enter the application portal via the Apply now button below
- Once in the application portal, follow the prompts to complete the application, upload any required documentation, and pay.
- Upon completion of your application and processing of your payment, you will receive an email with your eligibility number, and instructions on how to schedule your exam.
How to retest
If you originally applied before 5/16/22, you will need to fill out the retest application (PDF). If you originally applied on or after 5/18/22, sign in to your nfpa.org profile and complete the retest application in the new certification management system.
Features and benefits
WBITM certificants receive the following benefits:
- A competitive advantage in the job market
- Career advancement opportunities
- Recognition as an expert by their colleagues
About the exam
The WBITM exam is a 2.5-hour, 140 question, open-book* exam taken at an approved, computer-based testing center. The exam is based primarily on NFPA 25, Standard for the Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-based Fire Protection Systems, 2020 Edition.
However, candidates are also expected to know system components, function, safety, and design principles through a comprehensive working knowledge of the following related codes and standards: NFPA 13, NFPA 13R, NFPA 14, NFPA 15, NFPA 16, NFPA 20, NFPA 22, NFPA 24, and NFPA 72. Additionally, due to the risks posed by energized pumps and other components, candidates should be familiar with NFPA 70E.
To locate a computer-based testing center near you, Visit the test center website.
*All of those codes and standards, including NFPA 25, will be provided as digital references during the exam.
If you would like to purchase these NFPA documents for study or reference outside the exam, please go to the NFPA catalog at www.nfpa.org/catalog.
- $350 USD for the application and initial exam
- $175 USD to retest if you fail the exam
- $150 USD to recertify at the end of each three (3) year certification period.
NFPA Admin & Support Services
11 Tracy Drive
Avon, MA. 02322